Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta Place-Names Map
This background map documents Yup’ik place names within a section of the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta region of southwest Alaska. It was compiled by Robert Drozda and Vernon Chimegalrea from information provided by Lower Kuskokwim Yup’ik elders in 1988, and is archived in the AHP CPSU and ANCSA 14(h)(1) Historical Places and Cemetery Sites Collection, Alaska and Polar Regions Collections, at the Elmer E. Rasmuson Library of the University of Alaska Fairbanks.
Kuskokwim River Historical Sites from Napakiak to Akiak
The map is one of a series published in Wendell H. Oswalt’s (1980) Historic Settlements Along the Kuskokwim River, Alaska, Alaska State Library Historical Monograph No. 7, Alaska Division of State Libraries and Museums, Juneau, Alaska.
Village of Akiachak, circa 1935
Elsie Iqsak Wassilie, at her home in Akiachak on March 30, 2006, drew from memory a map of Akiachak households in the mid-1930s. Her view is from the village looking south to the Kuskokwim River. She designated residences by head of household from the east end of the community moving west to the “old school,” beyond which were fish camps at that time. Elsie’s map was reduced and colored for use in the Akiachak Project Jukebox format.
Fish Camp Tents at Akiachak, circa 1939
Nellie Ilegvak Moses, at her home in Akiachak on March 31, 2006, mapped family fish camp sites at the end of Akiachak west from the old school, at a time she estimated to have been about 1939. Her view is from the Kuskokwim River facing Akiachak. She noted that the Jacob Little (Tupak’aq) family had both a fish camp tent and a sod house among the other cotton tents then at the end of the village, and that no fish camps existed west of Qugtuliar slough. Nellie’s map was reduced and colored for use in the Akiachak Project Jukebox format.
Akiachak Place-Names Map
This map illustrates two historical Yup’ik settlements that led to the current community location of Akiachak. It has been adapted from the compilation of sites done by Robert Drozda and Vernon Chimegalrea (above) under the auspices of the BIA ANCSA 14(h)(1) program, from information provided by Lower Kuskokwim Yup’ik elders in 1988.