This is the continuation of an interview with Eddie Hildebrand on April 1, 1998 by Mike Spindler in Nulato, Alaska for the Raven's Story radio series on KIYU-AM public radio station in Galena, Alaska. In this second part of a two part interview, Eddie continues to talk about living a subsistence lifestyle based upon hunting, fishing and trapping. He discusses how he started and learned how to trap, trapping beavers, marten and wolves, and earning money from trapping. He also talks about building a boat, predicting the weather, and wildlife management and trapping regulations.
The interview was edited and produced by Mike Spindler.
Digital Asset Information
After clicking play, click on a section to navigate the audio or video clip.
1) Started trapping (short version) (7:10)
2) Started trapping (long version) (9:09)
3) Learned to trap beaver (8:01)
4) Snaring beaver (6:27)
5) Getting out of debt (5:32)
6) Marten trapping (2:51)
7) Wolves (4:25)
8) Boat making (2:49)
9) Game wardens - moose violation (5:29)
10) Game wardens - beaver violation (5:53)
11) Predicting weather (2:55)
Click play, then use Sections or Transcript to navigate the interview.
After clicking play, click a section of the transcript to navigate the audio or video clip.