This is the continuation of an interview with Lloyd and Amelia DeWilde on April 15, 1999 by Mike Spindler at their cabin on Billy Hawk Creek, forty miles northwest of Huslia, Alaska for the Raven's Story radio series on KIYU-AM public radio station in Galena, Alaska. In this third part of a three part interview, the DeWildes talk about challenges of living in remote parts of Alaska. They discuss travel hazards and getting lost, rescues, childbirth, dealing with illness and health problems, and the importance of their spirituality.
The interview was edited and produced by Mike Spindler.
Digital Asset Information
Project: Raven's Story Project Jukebox
Date of Interview: Apr 15, 1999
Narrator(s): Lloyd DeWilde, Amelia DeWilde
Interviewer(s): Mike Spindler
After clicking play, click on a section to navigate the audio or video clip.
1) Weathered-in at Ruby (4:27)
2) Met Lloyd "Blondie" in Ruby (6:22)
3) Lloyd and Amelia lost a month (5:08)
4) Babies in a tent in winter (4:08)
5) Home births in the bush (5:45)
6) A lucky rescue (4:51)
7) Gangrene illness (Part 1) (7:12)
8) Gangrene illness (Part 2, went into coma) (6:01)
9) Recovery from coma (5:56)
10) Relearning life skills after coma (6:30)
11) Spirituality (4:50)
Click play, then use Sections or Transcript to navigate the interview.
After clicking play, click a section of the transcript to navigate the audio or video clip.