Project Jukebox

Digital Branch of the University of Alaska Fairbanks Oral History Program

Project Jukebox Survey

Help us redesign the Project Jukebox website by taking a very short survey!

Red Williams, Interview 2
Red Williams
Red Williams talks about landing a plane on Creamer's Field.

Digital Asset Information

Archive #: Oral History 2008-04-05

Project: Fairbanks Communities of Memory
Date of Interview: Apr 3, 1996
Narrator(s): Red Williams
Location of Interview:
Location of Topic:
Funding Partners:
Alaska Humanities Forum
Alternate Transcripts
There is no alternate transcript for this interview.

After clicking play, click on a section to navigate the audio or video clip.


Running into poor visibility when flying an airplane

Making the landing, gauges on empty, and how Creamer's Field saved his life

Click play, then use Sections or Transcript to navigate the interview.

After clicking play, click a section of the transcript to navigate the audio or video clip.


In February of 1955, I, in the late afternoon I took off from Fairbanks to go to Fort Yukon.

The ceiling was about 4000 feet until I got over in the Yukon flats, at which time it became zero. And about a 200 foot layer of fog was lying all the way through the flats.

And I, being young and foolish, I kept going to Fort Yukon. And I got there, and I figured I could land right through it, but I couldn't; couldn't even see the field right down through the fog.

So I wasted too much time and started back to Fairbanks. Got down to the White Mountains, and it was socked in right from the base. Well, I was trapped. So I climbed up to 8000 feet, and got on top, and flew toward Fairbanks.

And eventually, on the way down, my gas gauges started to flapping, on empty.

I had no direction finding equipment, so I called Murphy Dome and asked them to spot me, and give me a course directly into Fairbanks.

And they said, "Continue as you are." So I flew another 10 or 15 minutes, and I called them and, "How about that fix? And give me a course."

They said, "We're working on it. Continue as you are." So I flew about another 10 or 15 minutes, and my engine quit me.

And I’m sitting up there at 8000 feet with a solid undercast underneath me, and I called in a mayday, and the guy says, "Continue as you are!"

Well, anyway, I put it on the gauges and started down; it’s not a nice feeling going down when you don't know where you are or anything. But I broke out at 1800 feet over Creamer's Field. That was it!