This is a continuation of an interview with Dr. Andy Embick by David Krupa on July 25, 1993 in Valdez, Alaska. In this part of the interview, Andy talks about the thrill and enjoyment of whitewater kayaking, a bear encounter, the future of kayaking in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park, and his book Fast and Cold: A Guide to Alaska Whitewater.
Digital Asset Information
Project: Wrangell-St.Elias National Park
Date of Interview: Jul 25, 1993
Narrator(s): Dr. Andy Embick
Interviewer(s): David Krupa
After clicking play, click on a section to navigate the audio or video clip.
1) Kayaking and the thrill of exploration
2) The enjoyment of kayaking and its use as a way to travel in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park
3) The scenery and wildlife that can be seen from the rivers and an encounter he had with bears
4) Kayaking as a family sport
5) The future of kayaking in the park
6) Andy's book: Fast and Cold: A Guide to Alaska Whitewater
Click play, then use Sections or Transcript to navigate the interview.
After clicking play, click a section of the transcript to navigate the audio or video clip.
Section 1: first run of river\ exploration\ small creeks -- source of excitement\ 200 cubic feet per second\ tributaries\ 12 Mile Canyon -- North Bremner River\ class 6 kayaking
Section 2: enjoyment\ river -- never the same\ exploration -- how done\ travel\ air travel\ Chitina\ Cordova
Section 3: scenery\ wildlife\ Chitina\ Tebay River\ raft trip -- family\ fishing\ bear\ Buck, Mike\ sheep\ goats\ caribou
Section 4: Charley River\ Copper River\ Chitina\ camping trips
Section 5: white water kayaking\ Alaska -- last of the undammed rivers\ small airstrips\ airplane -- Super Cub\ erosion\ river access
Section 6: book -- Fast & Cold: A Guide To Alaska Whitewater