Walter Akpik, Sr. (Utik) was interviewed on June 20, 1983 by Bill Schneider and Wendy Arundale at the site of Piqsaġniq on the Meade River near Atqasuk, Alaska for the Chipp-Ikpikpuk and Meade Rivers Oral History Project. Walter mostly spoke in Iñupiaq and his son, Joe Akpik, was the Iñupiaq language translator during the interview. The group traveled by boat to Piqsaġniq so that Walter could be at the place while discussing its history and uses. In this interview, Walter talks about the history of Piqsaġniq, hunting wolves there, and the value of wolf pelts. (IHLC Tape #00087)
Digital Asset Information
Project: Chipp-Ikpikpuk and Meade Rivers Project Jukebox
Date of Interview: Jun 20, 1983
Narrator(s): Walter Akpik, Sr.
Interviewer(s): Bill Schneider, Wendy Arundale
After clicking play, click on a section to navigate the audio or video clip.
1) Piqsaġniq and tracking and hunting wolves.
2) Joe Akpik summarizes in English what Walter talked about in the previous section about hunting wolves.
3) Joe Akpik continues to summarize what Walter talked about in the first section, and Walter talks more about hunting wolves near Piqsaġniq.
4) Trading value of wolf pelts.
5) Joe Akpik summarizes in English what Walter talked about in the previous section about trading wolf pelts
Click play, then use Sections or Transcript to navigate the interview.
After clicking play, click a section of the transcript to navigate the audio or video clip.
Section 1: coal\ tracks - wolf\ Piqsaġniq\ binoculars\ hunting - wolves\ wolves - puppies\ wolves - suckling\ hunting - 30-30 gun\ Iraiḷaq\ camp|
Section 2: wolves\ Piqsaġniq\ coal\ travel - walking\ binoculars\ hunting - wolves\ wolves - puppies|
Section 3: wolves\ hunting - wolves\ place names\ Piqsaġniq|
Section 4: wolves - pelts\ Aluaqpak\ Piksaun\ pelts - trade\ Brower, Sr., Charles\ pelts - value|
Section 5: wolves - pelts\ Aluaqpak\ Piksaun\ pelts - trade\ Brower, Sr. Charles\ pelts - value|