Photo of Bertha Moses

Bertha Moses,
Transcript Section 1

Back to Interview Outline

click for next sectionNext Section

MARLA:  If you want to just say something.

BERTHA:  This is Bertha, Bertha Moses of Allakaket.  Today is September 13, 19 -- I mean 2005. 

MARLA:  That's excellent.  Okay.  And I can hear myself pretty well, as well.  So let's just see how that sounds. 

So okay.  Today is September 13th.  I'm Marla Statscewich, I have the pleasure today of doing an interview with Bertha Moses in her house in Allakaket.  And did I say it was 2005? 

BERTHA:  Yes. 

MARLA:  And we're doing a project for -- or doing an interview for the Community Health Aides Project, and so thank you for taking the time to do this interview with me. 

So if you wanted to just give a little bit of background information, where you're from, where your parents are from, and some family history, and we can start from there. 

BERTHA:  My -- my grandparents came from the Kobuk River about before the turn of the century.  Not the last century, but the other one before.  And my parents were born in around here. 

My dad was born north of Alatna River, and my mother was born in the Arctic City there when they had the village down below here.  And my mother was Cora Tobuk, my dad was Oscar Nictune. 

And I was born in Alatna May 2nd, 1930, and I grew up mostly in Alatna and up the Alatna River, most -- most of the time with my grandparents or my parents. 

And in 1941, my mother was delivering and there was some guy come around here and he was selling books, and he -- he said a Bible and a medical book were $16.  $16 was a lot of money in 1941. 

So my mom ordered those books, and us, me and my siblings, get to watch the medical -- get to read the medical book.  And it had colored pictures of the anatomy.  And I guess that's where my medical background gets started. 

And so we -- we still have that book.  My dad gave it to me in about 1950s or '70s, he said maybe I'll keep it, take good care of it. 

And so I had it, and just before the flood, I was digging around in the cache, in the trunk, and I found it and I brought it and so it's safe.  And I gave it to my younger sister, Stella Hamilton, a couple years ago, then after taking care of it for many years and using it. 

The symptoms are the same but the treatments are -- had changed a lot, but still, it was very helpful to read it for symptoms.  That was my -- the first time I ever read anything medical is when I read that book, not knowing that I would be a medical person someday. 

And then in 1955, I think it was the missionary's -- the missionary -- the priest's wife was an RN.  So she taught us vital signs.  And that was the first, just -- just vital signs.  Nothing -- not blood pressure.  The first time I ever learned that and we did that, she taught us the old -- old style way to do the -- I forgot what -- what you call it when somebody almost drown and you --


BERTHA:  Yeah, CPR.  Yes.  She taught us the old style way CPR --

MARLA:  Oh. 

BERTHA:  -- at that time, too.  And then --

MARLA:  And what was her name? 

BERTHA:  Her name was Anita Miller. 

MARLA:  Anita Miller.

BERTHA:  And her husband was -- is Reverend Richard Miller.  They were the first -- that was the first priest we had. 

Before that we had two missionaries, ladies.  One was a nurse, RN, and one was a teacher.  For many years, that's all -- that's all we know was the two ladies.  In 1953 -- wait, 19 -- yeah, 1953, that's when the Millers come.

MARLA:  Okay. 

BERTHA:  Then after that, the Millers left in 1956, and when their three years were up, and there was a bachelor, a young guy, was there for the summer. 

And just in case if something happened, he showed me -- he asked me if I would like to know about the -- about the medical supplies back at the Mission.  So he showed me where everything was and what to do, where they were. 

And the needles at that time were inside of a glass vial.  And with water inside, solution inside.  And I remember that one after a while.